Monday, August 8, 2011

I love when someone else has the right words....

Still dwelling a bit on the lunatic sister incident.  I'm trying not to, but it's not that easy.  We'll go ahead and call it "processing"....that seems more proactive and healthy and positive, right?

First example of someone having the right words.....
The incident really gave the husband the opportunity to totally step up and be awesome. He sat there with me as I cried and vented and lamented my crap family. He infused some much needed humor as we talked about how we're complete opposites when it comes to personal relationships as well as when talking about what a hot mess my sister is. He went so far as to offer to look for new jobs elsewhere if I felt like we needed to move to give myself a chance at feeling better.

We may have our ups and downs, but it just makes me feel so good when I'm able to open up enough to let him comfort me and that he is able to step up when I do let my guard down. Progress, for sure!

Second example of someone having the right words....
Quotes from two friends helping me "process" this all:
Remember that you're dealing with your family of ORIGIN, not the family you're in now. You and xxx and xxx are a family, and you can revel in the fact that its awesome and loving and mostly normal.

THIS is your family. Yes, the others are, too, but your chosen family is what matters most...where you lay you head and your soft place to land.

I need to remember BOTH those things.  Forever.  Especially now.

No comments:

Post a Comment