Monday, May 2, 2011

Definition #1: The substances necessary for growth, health, and good condition

nour·ish·ment
noun /ˈnəriSHmənt/  /ˈnə-riSH-/ 
  1. The substances necessary for growth, health, and good condition
  2. Food
  3. The action of nourishing someone or something
I'm going to preface this with taking a moment to point out something that was CRYSTAL clear to me when I read this definition the first time.  Notice where food is on the list?  Yup.  Second to growth, health and good condition.  I swear I typed "nourishment" into Google and this is what popped up at the top of the list.  A sign.  :)
So, the substances necessary for growth, health and good condition.

Great.  Now what does that mean to ME?

I don't know exactly.  But I'm excited to explore that.  I'm going to brainstorm a list here and see what comes out.  What I'm using as a prompt is this question: 

What ARE the substances necessary for MY growth, health and good condition?
Challenge
Artistic expression
Creative outlet
Writing
Focus on treatment
Allowing support
Opening myself to the world around me
Trying new experiences
Connection to God
Time to have fun
Time to be alone
Reading
Learning
Time for reflection/meditation
Sunlight
Speaking up for things I want and need
Exercise/getting moving
Decluttering to allow room to move forward
Addressing past hurts and baggage to be able to move forward
Losing weight to improve mental/physical health and ability participate more fully in my life
Going new places
Doing new things
Saying "yes" to situations that scare me for no discernable reason
Intelligent discussion with others
Giving and receiving love in a open and non-judgemental way
Breaking down the barriers I've put between myself and loved ones
Learning a new skill


Some of these things are just variations on each other.  I'll look this back over and see where I can get more specific.  Ultimately, what I feel is that my eating disorder has held me down like a lead weight for years and years now and I'm sort of checking back into the world and seeing what it has to offer me and what I have to offer it.  Because I finally am feeling like I have something to offer the world again.  And I feel capable of receiving what the world has for me without fear of it destroying me.

It's a good feeling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment